At the Corpus Christi practice of Dr. Vijay, mastopexy, often called breast lift surgery, has helped thousands of women enhance both the position and shape of their breasts, whether they’ve shifted due to age, gravity, pregnancy, weight fluctuations or other factors. Mastopexy restores a perkier, more youthful appearance with or without implants to improve your self-esteem as well as your physique.
Ready to learn more about how breast lift surgery can enhance your silhouette and improve your confidence? Request a consultation using our online form, or call our office directly at (361) 888-7417.
Mastopexy restores a perkier, more youthful appearance with or without implants to improve your self-esteem as well as your physique.
**Client testimonials are based on personal experience. Individual results may vary.
Dr. Vijay treats your consultation as an opportunity to learn about you as an individual. He asks you many questions about your health history and lifestyle in order to fully understand your goals and motivations for the surgery. He performs a physical examination of your breasts to evaluate their size, shape, and level of sagging (ptosis). If you are combining your breast lift with other body contouring procedures, like massive weight loss surgery, then Dr. Vijay will create a detailed plan based on your personal examination. The consultation is a wonderful opportunity to ask questions and express concerns related to your surgery. Dr. Vijay guides you through the entire surgical process, helping you make choices that will best suit your goals and lifestyle. If you plan on having children in the future, he may advise you to postpone your breast lift, as pregnancy can alter the results.
The graphic above outlines the typical outcome of breast lift surgery. Good candidates for breast lift surgery are women whose nipples fall below the crease beneath the breast, known as the inframammary fold. A breast lift, whether with or without implants, raises the breasts and positions the nipples above the breast crease. The result is a perkier, more youthful-looking placement.
Dr. Vijay treats your consultation as an opportunity to learn about you as an individual. He asks you many questions about your health history and lifestyle in order to fully understand your goals and motivations for the surgery. He performs a physical examination of your breasts to evaluate their size, shape, and level of sagging (ptosis). If you are combining your breast lift with other body contouring procedures, like massive weight loss surgery, then Dr. Vijay will create a detailed plan based on your personal examination.
The consultation is a wonderful opportunity to ask questions and express concerns related to your surgery. Dr. Vijay guides you through the entire surgical process, helping you make choices that will best suit your goals and lifestyle. If you plan on having children in the future, he may advise you to postpone your breast lift, as pregnancy can alter the results.
During your preoperative appointment, Dr. Vijay provides you with a detailed list of instructions to prepare for your surgery. These may include:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the day of your surgery.
- Keep yourself hydrated the day before surgery, and avoid foods that are high in sodium.
- Bathe with antibacterial soap the morning of your surgery, and don’t use any lotions or moisturizers.
- Follow Dr. Vijay’s advice for temporarily discontinuing the use of any medications or supplements that you may be taking.
Most breast lift procedures require an anchor-shaped incision that follows the natural contour of the breast. Once the incision has been made, Dr. Vijay reshapes the underlying breast tissue, positioning it so that it sits higher on the chest. Excess skin is cut away, and the nipple and areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple) are repositioned to sit higher on the breast. The incisions are then closed with stitches.
Breast lift surgery often creates optimal results on women with smaller breasts. Although the surgery can be performed on women with larger, heavier breasts, the results will likely not last as long. If you’d like to add volume to your breasts, Dr. Vijay may suggest breast augmentation instead of, or in addition to, your breast lift. Both surgeries can be performed as one operation to maximize your safety and comfort.
Experiences vary after breast lift surgery. Dr. Vijay advises his patients to rest at home for several days, allowing the body to heal properly. Most patients are able to return to work after one week, although women who have more physically demanding jobs may require more time at home. Breast lift patients may shower the day after surgery but should avoid baths for at least one week.
Discomfort is usually manageable with prescribed medications, and you will have several follow-up appointments to ensure that the healing process is successful and comfortable.
Prior to your surgery, Dr. Vijay provides you with detailed, customized instructions for postoperative care. He strives to ensure that each patient is fully informed of the details of her procedure.
The results of breast lift surgery can be long-lasting; however, over time, gravity, aging and other factors often alter the appearance of the breasts. Patients can minimize these changes by maintaining a steady weight and practicing good diet and exercise habits.
- Have someone drive you home after surgery and help you at home for 1-2 days.
- Get plenty of rest and increase your fluid intake.
- Decreased activity may promote constipation, so you may want to add more ripe fruit to your diet. Prunes and prune juice work well for most.
- Take pain medications as prescribed. Do not take aspirin or any products containing aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Do not drink alcohol when taking pain medications.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol for three weeks following surgery, even when no longer taking pain medications, as alcohol causes fluid retention.
- If you regularly take vitamins with iron, resume these as tolerated.
- Do not smoke or consume nicotine, as smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
- Start walking as soon as possible with assistance the day of surgery, this helps to reduce swelling and lowers the chance of blood clots. Starting the day after surgery, walk 300 feet three times per day with assistance daily.
- Do not drive until you are no longer taking any pain medications (narcotics).
- Do not drive until you have full range of motion with your arms.
- Refrain from vigorous activity for two weeks.
- Social and employment activities can be resumed in 7-14 days.
- Sexual activity can be resumed in two weeks unless otherwise specified by Dr. Bindingnavele.
- You may shower 48 hours after surgery.
- Keep steri-strips on, and replace if they come off. Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for sign of infection. No soaking incision with water for two weeks after surgery.
- Leave dressing on for the first 72 hours following surgery.
- Wear garments (surgical bra) as directed by surgeon. Do not wear underwire bra for six weeks after surgery.
- Refrain from sleeping on your stomach for three weeks.
FOLLOW UP CARE
- Your post-operative appointment will be scheduled before surgery for your convenience.
- Expect some drainage onto the steri-strips covering the incisions.
- You are likely to feel tired for a few days.
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery.
- You may experience some numbness of nipples and operative areas.
- You may have some loss of sensation in the nipples.
- You may experience temporary soreness tightness, swelling, and bruising as well as some discomfort in the incision area.
APPEARANCE AND SCAR CARE
- Most of the discoloration and swelling will subside in 4-6 weeks.
- Scars may be red and angry looking for six months. In time, these usually soften and fade.
- Please start using your silicone (as given to you) four weeks after surgery or as instructed by Dr. Bindingnavele. Use silicone for twelve hours daily for 4-6 months.
- Avoid exposure of scar to sunlight for 6-12 months. If unavoidable, use sunblock (SPF 30 or greater) with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Massage scars ten minutes at a time, three times daily while using silicone strips.
WHEN TO CALL
- If you have increased swelling or bruising.
- If swelling and redness persist after a few days.
- If you have increased redness along the incision.
- If you have severe or increased pain not relieved by medication.
- If you have any side effects such as rash, nausea, headache, or vomiting.
- If you have an oral temperature over 100.4 degrees.
- If you have yellowish or greenish drainage from the incisions or notice a foul odor.
- If you have bleeding from the incisions that is difficult to control with light pressure.
- If you have loss of feeling or motion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are the best candidates for a breast lift?
The best candidates for a breast lift are those who have drooping or sagging breasts. Ideal patients are also in good physical health, do not smoke, and have realistic expectations about the procedure.
What complications can occur with a breast lift?
As with any surgery, there are risks and complications that can develop after a breast lift. Although rare, the more common complications include bleeding, infection, and numbness. Following your surgeon’s instructions will help reduce your risk for complications and ensure you have the safest recovery possible.
How much does a breast lift cost?
The cost of a breast lift will depend on several factors, including how much ptosis (drooping) is present and the surgical technique to be used.
Is a breast lift covered by health insurance?
Most health insurance companies do not cover the costs of a breast lift, as this procedure is usually for cosmetic purposes only and not medically necessary.
Why Choose Dr. Vijay
Dr. Vijay is very unique in the sense of his great customer care, service and experience. He approaches each client as an individual and takes the time to thoroughly understand their needs and desired results.