Gynecomastia / Male Breast Reduction
Although rarely discussed, enlarged male breasts are a common condition. Gynecomastia affects approximately 40 to 60 percent of men. There is often no known cause for gynecomastia, although there has been some correlation with various drugs or medical conditions.
Men who feel self-conscious about their appearance are helped with male breast reduction surgery. The procedure removes fat and/or glandular tissue from the breasts, and in extreme cases removes excess skin, resulting in a contoured chest that is flatter and firmer.
General Male Breast Reduction Surgery Postoperative Instructions
After surgery, strenuous activity is to be avoided for at least 2 weeks and ideally for 4 weeks. Drains may be placed until the chest reaches its final appearance about 6 weeks after surgery. As per our usual recommendation, the patient can shower 2 days after surgery.
It is important to follow all of your doctor’s postoperative instructions for male breast reduction surgery to achieve the best possible surgical results. Corpus Christi Institute of Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery gynecomastia patients are provided with detailed instructions to ensure the best outcome to the procedure.
Why Choose Dr. Vijay
- Have someone drive you home after surgery and help you at home for 1-2 days.
- Get plenty of rest and increase your fluid intake.
- Decreased activity may promote constipation, so you may want to add more ripe fruit to your diet. Prunes and prune juice work well for most.
- Take pain medications as prescribed. Do not take aspirin or any products containing aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Do not drink alcohol when taking pain medications.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol for three weeks following surgery, even when no longer taking pain medications, as alcohol causes fluid retention.
- If you regularly take vitamins with iron, resume these as tolerated.
- Do not smoke or consume nicotine, as smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
- Start walking as soon as possible with assistance the day of surgery, this helps to reduce swelling and lowers the chance of blood clots. Starting the day after surgery, walk 300 feet three times per day with assistance daily.
- Do not drive until you are no longer taking any pain medications (narcotics).
- Do not drive until you have full range of motion with your arms.
- Refrain from vigorous activity for two weeks.
- Social and employment activities can be resumed in 10-14 days.
- Sexual activity can be resumed in two weeks unless otherwise specified by Dr. Bindingnavele.
- You may shower 48 hours after surgery.
- Keep steri-strips on, and replace if they come off. Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for sign of infection. No soaking incision with water for two weeks after surgery.
- Leave dressing on for the first 72 hours following surgery.
- Wear compression garment continuously for 6 weeks unless otherwise instructed by Dr. Bindingnavele.
- Refrain from sleeping on your stomach for three weeks.
FOLLOW UP CARE
- Your post-operative appointment will be scheduled before surgery for your convenience.
- Minimal to moderate post-operative pain (depending on extensiveness of procedure)
- Expect some drainage onto the steri-strips covering the incisions.
- You are likely to feel tired for a few days.
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery.
- You may experience some numbness of nipples and operative areas.
- You may have some loss of sensation in the nipples.
- You may experience temporary soreness tightness, swelling, and bruising as well as some discomfort in the incision area.
- Flatter, firmer, more masculine chest contour
- 3-6 months until final results are apparent.
WHEN TO CALL
- If you have increased swelling or bruising.
- If swelling and redness persist after a few days.
- If you have increased redness along the incision.
- If you have severe or increased pain not relieved by medication.
- If you have any side effects such as rash, nausea, headache, or vomiting.
- If you have an oral temperature over 100.4 degrees.
- If you have yellowish or greenish drainage from the incisions or notice a foul odor.
- If you have bleeding from the incisions that is difficult to control with light pressure.
- If you have loss of feeling or motion.
Why Choose Dr. Vijay
Dr. Vijay Bindingnavele is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been practicing in Corpus Christi, Texas for the past 10 years. Dr. Vijay, as he is commonly and affectionately known, is very approachable, and truly enjoys plastic surgery and interacting with his patients. Dr. Vijay is very unique in the sense of his great customer care, service and experience. He approaches each client as an individual and takes the time to thoroughly understand their needs and desired results.