Large breasts can cause pain, improper posture, rashes, breathing problems, skeletal deformities and low self-esteem. Breast reduction surgery is usually done to provide relief from these symptoms.
Freeing Yourself From the Burden of Oversized Breasts . . .
Performed under general anesthesia, the two- to four-hour procedure removes fat and glandular tissue and tightens skin to produce smaller, lighter breasts that are in a healthier proportion to the rest of the body.
Our surgeons use a technique that minimizes the incision required, which results in a much less scarred breast that may also retain its improved shape for a longer period of time.
Breast reduction surgery is not recommended for women who intend to breastfeed since many of the milk ducts leading to the nipples are removed.
Breast Reduction Surgery Postoperative Instructions
It is important to follow all of your doctor’s postoperative instructions for breast reduction surgery to achieve the best possible results. Corpus Christi Institute of Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery patients are provided with detailed instructions to ensure the best outcome to the procedure.
- Have someone drive you home after surgery and help you at home for 1-2 days.
- Get plenty of rest and increase your fluid intake.
- Decreased activity may promote constipation, so you may want to add more ripe fruit to your diet. Prunes and prune juice work well for most.
- Take pain medications as prescribed. Do not take aspirin or any products containing aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Do not drink alcohol when taking pain medications.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol for three weeks following surgery, even when no longer taking pain medications, as alcohol causes fluid retention.
- If you regularly take vitamins with iron, resume these as tolerated.
- Do not smoke or consume nicotine, as smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
- Start walking as soon as possible with assistance the day of surgery, this helps to reduce swelling and lowers the chance of blood clots. Starting the day after surgery, walk 300 feet three times per day with assistance daily.
- Do not drive until you are no longer taking any pain medications (narcotics).
- Do not drive until you have full range of motion with your arms.
- Refrain from vigorous activity for two weeks.
- Social and employment activities can be resumed in 7-14 days.
- Sexual activity can be resumed in two weeks unless otherwise specified by Dr. Bindingnavele.
- You may shower 48 hours after surgery.
- Keep steri-strips on, and replace if they come off. Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for sign of infection. No soaking incision with water for two weeks after surgery.
- Leave dressing on for the first 72 hours following surgery.
- Wear garments (surgical bra) as directed by surgeon. Do not wear underwire bra for six weeks after surgery.
- Refrain from sleeping on your stomach for three weeks.
FOLLOW UP CARE
- Your post-operative appointment will be scheduled before surgery for your convenience.
- Expect some drainage onto the steri-strips covering the incisions.
- You are likely to feel tired for a few days.
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery.
- You may experience some numbness of nipples and operative areas.
- You may have some loss of sensation in the nipples.
- You may experience temporary soreness tightness, swelling, and bruising as well as some discomfort in the incision area.
APPEARANCE AND SCAR CARE
- Most of the discoloration and swelling will subside in 4-6 weeks.
- Scars may be red and angry looking for six months. In time, these usually soften and fade.
- Please start using your silicone (as given to you) four weeks after surgery or as instructed by Dr. Bindingnavele. Use silicone for twelve hours daily for 4-6 months.
- Avoid exposure of scar to sunlight for 6-12 months. If unavoidable, use sunblock (SPF 30 or greater) with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Massage scars ten minutes at a time, three times daily while using silicone strips.
WHEN TO CALL
- If you have increased swelling or bruising.
- If swelling and redness persist after a few days.
- If you have increased redness along the incision.
- If you have severe or increased pain not relieved by medication.
- If you have any side effects such as rash, nausea, headache, or vomiting.
- If you have an oral temperature over 100.4 degrees.
- If you have yellowish or greenish drainage from the incisions or notice a foul odor.
- If you have bleeding from the incisions that is difficult to control with light pressure.
- If you have loss of feeling or motion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are the best candidates for breast reduction surgery?
Typical candidates for breast reduction surgery desire to reduce the size of their breasts either for aesthetic reasons or to relieve pain and discomfort. The best candidates are in good physical health and do not smoke.
Is breast reduction covered by insurance?
Some health insurance providers will cover the cost of breast reduction surgery if the patient experiences pain and severe discomfort because of the size or weight of her breasts.
What are the risks of breast reduction surgery?
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved with breast reduction surgery. Although rare, bleeding, infection, changes in skin sensation, asymmetry, or poor wound healing can occur. Follow-up visits with your surgeon will help to monitor and correct any complications.
Will breast reduction affect my ability to breastfeed?
It is best for patients to be finished having children prior to breast reduction surgery if they plan to breastfeed. While breast reduction will not completely alter the ability to breastfeed, there is a chance it may limit it to some extent.
When will final results be apparent?
Once swelling and bruising dissipate, final results are apparent. Swelling can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months after surgery. Scars will continue to fade over time, and protecting your scars from the sun will help prevent them from darkening.
Why Choose Dr. Vijay
Dr. Vijay is very unique in the sense of his great customer care, service and experience. He approaches each client as an individual and takes the time to thoroughly understand their needs and desired results.